The „Liesenbrücken“ were built in several phases, from 1890 to 1896, as part of the Berlin-Szczecin railway. They connect the Stettiner Bahnhof (the Nordbahnhof nowadays) with the border city of Szczecin. They were designed as half parabolic steel frame bridges, with no supports, in order to seperate the rail traffic from the inclining car traffic at the crossroad of Liesenstraße, Ackerstraße and Gartenstraße. After an intense use of about 6 decades, the Berlin-Szczecin railway got quiet, due to the division of the city, having a negativ result on the Liesenbridges. Since 1956 the nearly one hundred metres long main bridge and the 60m long small bridge remain unused, decay and rust, entrance is forbidden and no conserving treatment has been undertaken.
In the direct surrounding of the bridges, the are two parks of the district „Mitte“. In the north there is the „Humboldthain“ park and in the south the „Nordbahnhof“ park. There is no straight connection bewtween these two parks as the abandoned bridges in fact block the way. By opening the two bridges the missing gap of this connection would be filled resulting in a long green connection, a trail which connects „Mitte“ with the district „Wedding“. As a keyhole in this park trail, the Liesenbridges become a central spot on top of the traffic roundabout. The small bridge serves as a ‚fast‘ connection of people jogging, riding bikes or going for a walk with their dogs. The main bridge on the other hand, is the new meeting place, the new square on the bridge.
The reactivation of the bridge in a new manner will happen by filling it with a cultural institution, a multifunctional auditorium for conferences, theatrical or musical performances, seminars or movie projection. The positioning and size of the new object is the result of following thoughts: